, , , ,

Winter Preparedness & Storm Insurance

Storm Insurance and Winter Preparedness

storm insurance

Winter is coming and we can be sure that storms and bad weather will disrupt households across Perth and WA this winter.  While storm insurance and wind, rain and water cover are all staples of your home building insurance, its always wise to be prepared ahead of time.

In the event of a large scale storm, its possible power, water, sewerage and gas services may not be working. There could be road closures, and telephone lines may be down.  You may find after a storm or flood you need emergency accommodation, welfare support services, food, water or money.


Call us as your insurance broker, or call your insurance company immediately as most companies provide 24 hour service.

  • They may be able to provide you with temporary accommodation, food and cash for immediate hardship
  • Ensure your home is secure before you leave as you are responsible for the security of your home
  • Do not attempt any repairs unless qualified as this may put you or your family at risk or cause further damage that may not be covered by your insurer


And your family and friends cannot assist contact:

  • Department for Child Protection (DCP) on 0418 943 835 for assistance with emergency accommodation, clothing, food and other essentials
  • Department of Housing on 1800 093 325 for public housing or bond assistance for rental accommodation if you are eligible

If your home has been badly damaged and you need help, call the SES on 132 500


  • Call Western Power on 131 351
  • Call Horizon Power on 132 351 if you live in a regional area.   (If you are unsure refer to your last bill)


• Start cleaning up around your home – stack loose material such as branches and debris away from water meters, valves and telephone lines

• Call your local government to get advice about the removal of green waste and other materials such as asbestos fencing.


The State Emergency Service (SES) is a volunteer division of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES), Western Australia’s leading Hazard Management Agency (HMA) for natural disasters.

SES volunteers play a vital role in responding to natural disasters and emergencies on behalf of the community.

What is the SES telephone number?

  • 132 500

Before you call the SES think about the following:

  • The nature of your enquiry and whether the SES is appropriate for your needs
  • Call triple zero (000) for fire and life threatening emergencies call
  • Call 132 500 for urgent property repairs that you cannot fix yourself.

When you call the SES

Due to the high level of demand during a natural disaster people need to remain patient and be prepared to wait.

  • Speak slowly and clearly
  • Tell them exactly where to attend
  • All requests are prioritised by urgency
  • Major structural damage will be attended to first
  • Avoid clogging up emergency hotlines with unrelated requests

What will the SES help me with?

  • Assisting with significant structural damage like collapsed roofs or ceilings
  • Making temporary emergency repairs to homes and buildings
  • Removing fallen trees that have damaged homes and cars
  • Sandbagging areas in danger of flooding
  • Pumping out flood water
  • Rescuing trapped or injured people, and helping people relocate if they are in danger

What won’t the SES help me with?

  • Clearing debris and organising permanent repairs
  • Attending to broken fences, trees that have fallen on fences or if there is debris around your property or in your pool
  • Basic repairs that you can manage yourself


Other Articles of Interest